CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 7, 2008

Conference!!!


I had an AMAZING weekend! Every session of General Conference was just wonderful, and I GOT TO GO to the Sunday morning session!!! I haven't had the opportunity to go to a session since I was about 10 years old, and I've never attended anything at the Conference Center. One of my Young Women (Marissa) who is not a member (I have three girls who come pretty regularly to the activities who aren't) is taking the missionary discussions right now and as an investigator, the missionaries gave her tickets. They asked me if I would like to go with her and of course I jumped at the opportunity! They gave her an extra ticket for her mom, but her mom didn't want to go so a friend of hers came in her place. Then, we were given three other tickets for any of our other Young Women. One of the other girls that came (Dani) has only been to church once since I've been the YW President, so I was so excited that she wanted to come. In order to get her to come though, one of my leaders had to surrender her ticket so that her friend could come with us, because she was staying at their house while her parents were in Hawaii. Needless to say, she was more than willing to give up her ticket if it meant that Dani would come. We had such a great time! I hope all of the girls felt the same spirit that I felt during it. One of the most amazing parts for me was when President Monsen walked in. Everyone stood and it was COMPLETELY silent. I have never witnessed anything like it. You could literally have heard a pin drop! I felt the spirit so strongly and started tearing up. Dani saw me and just said, "Sister Cluff, are you ALREADY crying!" She knows what an emotional bawl-baby I can be!


So anyway, it was a great weekend. All of the speakers were just amazing. I enjoyed having the opportunity during the first session to stand and sustain our new Prophet, President Monsen. I cried as I stood and sustained him. I miss President Hinckley immensely, but I KNOW that the church is in good hands with President Monsen. He is an amazing man. It was nice getting to know him a little more personally this weekend through his talks. You can already see such a change in him as he has gone from 1st Counselor to President. And his cute little talk about his wife during the last session was hilarious! "What do you know about trouble?!" They are too cute!

We also got to sustain a new General Young Womens Presidency, and it was awesome to be able to be there at the session that Sister Tanner gave her "farewell" talk in. I guess the new 2nd Counselor is President Monsen's daughter, so that's cool!

A big thank you to my parents for watching September and Kya while I was at Conference. It turned out to be a last minute thing. We were originally supposed to go up to my parents on Sunday to celebrate my dad's bday, and when the opportunity came up to go to Conference, those plans changed. Well, the girls didn't know this until Saturday and when they found out, they were extremely disappointed. Ember started crying! So when I realized that I would have two extra seats on the way up, I decided to take them with and drop them off. It worked out great because then we also had Joey and Nicky take us back down to the Conference Center and drop us off, so we wouldn't have to worry about parking or walking. It turned out great. A big thank you to them for doing that! Love ya guys!! (I look like such a dork in this pic! We took a bunch of pictures because I kept making weird faces. The girls kept making fun of me! This one was the best of all of them, and it's still horrible. It looks like my eyes are blinking, but I'm not!)

4 comments:

JakenDebbie said...

I LOVE these pictures! They turned out so great!! I wish I could have been there!!!

Nicole said...

Awe! That post made me so excited to be in Young Womens!

HeatherK said...

Laura you are so cute, you look so young.. you look like your just one of your young women. Looks like you guys had a fun time!

Sox said...

I can't believe how much Nick looks like a Stocking. He looks like Von and Like Jan.