CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Saga of Logan...

Wow, it's been a while since I last posted and a LOT has happened, so I have a few things I need to catch up on. So prepare for a novel! ;) It has been a very long past couple weeks!!

First of all, we got Logan's cast removed about three weeks ago. Yay! Oh wait, not so fast....we went back a couple weeks ago and got ANOTHER one put back on. When we went a few weeks ago and got the last one off they were a little undecided on whether or not he needed another cast. It seemed to heal faster than expected even for a kid, but the x-rays looked so great they decided not to. Well, we expected him to go gentle on his foot for the first day or two, and they told us to expect it. But he did more than go gentle….he would NOT walk normal on it even after 4 or 5 days, and it just went downhill. He would walk around with his foot pointed down the way it was in the cast. This put pressure on his right foot and made it start hurting as well. He got to the point where he would just stop walking altogether and either beg to be picked up, or just crawl….and he was crying all the time and saying that it hurt. After having it off for 6 days he started begging to go back to the hospital! O.k. this is a kid who has a pretty high pain tolerance. He’ll pout a little, make you kiss it better, and off he goes. So this was weird. So I called and made the soonest appointment I could which was three more days away, and just hoped that things would actually get better before the appointment and I could call and cancel it. Nope, they only got worse. But when I took him in and the dr. checked him she was pushing on the top of his foot, pushing it to make his foot flat, etc… and he just went along with it. Isn’t that how it always is? So they took x-rays and everything looked good….even better than the day he got the last cast off. The dr. probably thought I was just overreacting. Then she saw him walk on it. Whether it’s all in his head, or there really is something going on, she decided to put him back in a cast so that she could put it flat so he’d be forced to walk flat on it. So she said that he’d have to have the cast on for two weeks and if he still wouldn’t walk on it they’d put him in physical therapy which she said is just mean and that we really wouldn’t want to do that. So the first few days went o.k. He began to walk a little more flat on it. But after a few days he just started saying that it hurt and we couldn’t tell if his foot was still bothering him, or the cast. But he just got to the point where he was just whining ALL the time again.

(These are pics of the "second" cast removal.)




Then, last Thursday was Kya’s birthday. We only do big parties with friends on certain years and on the other years they just get to pick a place to go and invite one friend. This was just a “one friend” year and Kya decided she wanted to go swimming. We realized that Logan wasn’t going to be able to come because of his cast, so my friend Kristi offered to babysit, bless her heart. So Thursday morning I went up to the school to volunteer. I usually go on Wednesdays but I decided to do Thursday this week because I’d have to go take birthday treats to Kya’s class anyway AND I was going to be picking her up to take her out to lunch. After being at the school for about 45 minutes Logan just started whining and crying and saying “it hurts” and “I don’t like this”. I of course just thought he was talking about his foot again, but then he started getting a fever. I was worried about taking him out to lunch with us but I had some medicine in the car that I gave him and it seemed to help pretty fast. On our way to pick up Matthew so that he could go with us it started SNOWING!!! It was April 24th for heaven sake!! Suddenly the thought of going swimming didn’t sound so fun anymore. So Kya decided that she wanted to go to Kangaroo Zoo (no, it’s not a zoo with kangaroos as the name may suggest…it’s a place with a bunch of blow-up slides and bouncehouses). Well, we really debated back and forth about whether or not we should take Logan. He seemed to be feeling better, but we thought it would be too mean to take him to a place that he couldn’t participate in the fun. So we were just about to take him over to Kristi’s when he suddenly started getting another fever….then turning purplish….then getting the chills. My niece had just spent a night at Primary Children’s a few days earlier with similar symptoms and they still hadn’t completely figured out what was wrong with her, so I started freaking out. So Matthew stayed home with him and Peyton, and I took Ember, Kya, and Kya’s friend. Well, we get there and because of our last minute change of plans I hadn’t really been thinking about what the girls were wearing. Well, you have to wear socks at this type of place and the girls didn’t have any on! Aughhh! They had some that you could buy there but they were $2 a pair! I’m used to buying a 6-pack for that price, but whatever, it was Kya’s birthday and I didn’t want to disappoint. I decided at least to let Ember wear MY socks and just buy a pair for Kya. Well, they were both in capris, and let’s just say….they looked ridiculous! But it worked. So we spent about an hour and the girls had a lot of fun, while I was bored to tears and worried about Logan. We had originally planned on going to McDonald’s afterwards, but we had a change of plans again (for a variety of reasons) and decided to grab pizza on the way home. We got home and opened the pizza and it was the most disgusting looking pizza I’ve ever seen. Kids don’t care, right. Wrong! The girls hardly touched it. So all in all, it was a very disappointing and frustrating day. I felt so bad for Kya. I really wanted to make it such a fun day and nothing seemed to work out. Thank goodness kids are a lot more easy to please because she seemed to care less than I did. She said she had a great day and I truly hope she did.

To make up for not going swimming we decided that if the weather would cooperate (and it didn’t snow again!) that maybe we would go swimming in a couple weeks or so for Family Home Evening, once Logan had his cast off. Well, after more whining from Logan that night we decided that we were going to call and see if we could get his cast off early, like on Monday, and as a bonus we’d then be able to go swimming THAT night. So I called on Friday morning and got an appointment for Monday. He whined more and more throughout the day and I just kept thinking to myself, “It’s just a few more days….you can handle this.” But then he started complaining about his mouth and wouldn’t really eat. And THEN he started getting a rash on his foot. O.k. this was getting weird. Matthew suggested the possibility of Hand Foot & Mouth. Ember and Kya had both had it a few years later so we knew what it looked like, but I still decided to check online for more info. After researching it for TWO minutes I was convinced that’s what he had. Oh, sure enough, within a couple hours he started getting the little blisters all over his HANDS...FEET....and MOUTH! Oh good grief!!! It has been such a stressful past few weeks dealing with him and his cast and I was so ready for it all to hopefully be over, and now this. I just keep trying to remind myself that there are worse things, right? So anyway, stay away from us for the next week or so!!

0 comments: