CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Kya's 6th Birthday

As I mentioned earlier, it was Kya’s birthday last Thursday. She turned 6! When did she get so old?!? I keep telling all of my kids to stop growing up but they won’t listen!

I’ve already posted about how crazy and frustrating her actual birthday turned out, but we also celebrated with family the Sunday before. It was a last minute decision to do so, but it turned out all right all things considered.

Here’s a funny story. We had wanted to get Kya a new bike for her birthday. Not only had she started to outgrow her old one, but it had a flat tire. We figured that she was going to need a new one soon anyway, so instead of fixing the flat on the old one, we’d get her a new one. Well, we didn’t want to buy it too early because we didn’t want to have to store it any longer than needed because of her possibly finding it. But when we decided at the last minute to celebrate her birthday on Sunday, I had to run out on Saturday night and get her bike. I got to the store and as I tried to find the one that Matthew and I had decided on earlier, I couldn’t find it. It looked like it was sold out. So I needed to talk to an employee, but the one there in the area was already helping someone. When he was done, I went over to talk to him and lo and behold…it was my long-lost cousin that I hadn’t seen in like 9 years! I wasn’t positive it was him, so I said, “John?”, and he gave me a weird look. So I thought I’d just made a fool of myself and that it wasn’t really him. So I said, “Is your name John?” He pointed to his name tag and sure enough it said John, so I asked him if he knew who I was and he did. So we chatted for a few minutes and I told him that I was buying the bike for my daughter’s birthday that we were celebrating the next day and I invited him over. He’s only met Matthew maybe once, and has never met my kids. He ended up coming and brought his 2-year old son, who I of course had not met. He was too cute! (His pic is below. He is all boy and just LOVES trucks, trains, you name it. So he went and found one of Logan's biggest trucks and adopted it for the evening.) His wife wasn’t able to come because she’s a teacher and she had school she needed to prepare for the next day. So I still have yet to meet her. Someday….

But anyway, things turned out really fun. We opened gifts and then had an ice-cream sundae bar and cake. Nothing too crazy, but it was fun. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KYA!!!

(Here's Kya in the robe my parents gave her. You can see the matching pj's on the floor. I think she wore this whole get-up around for about 5 days straight if you don't count going to school.)

(Here's Logan "helping" Matthew record the event. I'm pretty sure he was more of a hindrance!)

(Here's Kya blowing out the "pretend" candles on her birthday cake. I went to put the candles on and light them....um, we didn't have any. Oops!! So I made her pretend.)

0 comments: