CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 12, 2009

We have a potty pooper!

I am proud to announce that Logan is finally potty-trained!! He is only 3 1/2 so it's not like it took very long. (Dripping with sarcasm!) I can't even tell you how much we've been looking forward to this day. I've never gone so long with TWO kids in diapers!

I started last Wednesday and he had plenty of successes right away but he also had a lot of accidents. Finally by Saturday I was getting a little worn out and after talking to some people and being reminded that they won't truly "get it" until it's THEIR choice and they're not just doing it because YOU remind them to do it....I decided to stop for the time being. And then the most miraculous thing happened.....he started doing it ALL BY HIMSELF!!! Sure there were still a couple accidents here and there, but 80% of the time he was doing it and doing it himself. Oh what joy!! I have to hand it to Lisa, she was the real genius behind this. When she moved in last month and I was telling her my frustration of not having him potty-trained yet, she told me what she had done with her boys that worked for them and she told me to give it a shot. I waited til after the holidays, but then here's what I did based on Lisa's advice. I bought him a small potty and I PUT IT IN THE FAMILY ROOM! Sounds gross I know, but guess what....it worked. The theory behind it is that they're too busy watching TV (yes, I'll admit it, that's what Logan spends a lot of his day doing) that they don't want to leave the TV to have to go to the bathroom. Especially in a house like ours where the closest bathroom is up two flights of stairs! So we put the potty in there (with towels under and around it) and also had him actually sit on the potty while he was watching TV. He started going pee and after doing this a few times and getting rewarded, he would be even more aware of doing it and even more proud of himself. So judge all you want and think I'm dumb and gross, but it worked! I am the proud mother of a potty-trained boy! THANKS LISA!!!

2 comments:

Randi said...

Yay! Congrats potty pooper! We are in the process of trying to potty train Gavin so I was excited to read what worked for you guys! Don't feel dumb or gross... I say whatever works!

Kalun and Kristi said...

Yeah!!!!!!!! oh, our little boys have FINALLY learned how to be big boys!! I am also more than excited to finally be down to one kid in diapers.